Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: How do you pronounce Beaulieu?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member redizdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Sorry Lightfeat you were completely wrong! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ahem...I don't think so....

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lightfeat:

    Beaulieu - as in Beau(tiful) Lee. In English at least, it is definitely beau as in beautiful not beau as in "a dandy" and lieu is lee for reasons ony the illogical ancients can explain.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I think you will notice that I was talking about the English pronunciation. Beaulieu is also a place in England. We have lots of French words and names in our language. Ours is a mongrel of a language, with multiple origins, and when words become incorporated into the English language, we usually pronounce them differently, like all words ending in tion, which are all technically French too. The company is French, of course, but I was just relaying how we pronounce it here in England, in English, as a town in England.

    D'accord?
    Lucas [img]smile.gif[/img]

  3. #13
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *waves his arms around frantically*


    Lightfeat is right you know, even if he has repeated what I said a few posts ago [img]confused.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes Jim, I was supporting your opinion. You know, like - "yes, Jim is right, I agree with him" kind of thing [img]wink.gif[/img] Actually, I believe posted this answer before, but in a repeat thread of the same topic.

    Anyway, English, American and French will have their own ideas on this. You say tomayto, I say tamarto, let's call the whole thing off, etc.

    .... But who says bow - tiful when something's pretty? It's Bewtiful in England (in the Summer anyway [img]wink.gif[/img] ) and in England it'll always be the little town of Bewlee, where they have a lot of classic cars. Anyway...people can call it what they like as far as I care... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  5. #15
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry mate, indeed you did! [img]redface.gif[/img] I'm still trying to get my head round how you would interpret "Beau" as "bowl"?!?! Oh well doesnt matter now [img]wink.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always heard it pronounced like this, from everyone from old timers I've met like Georg Graf, to the guys at Super 8 Sound, who I would think would know the proper way to say it:

    BULL-eee-you


    MP

  7. #17
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Matt,

    As Lucas said we were just discussing the English way to pronounce it, I dont theres really a "proper" way to say it and its bound to be said differently in America because of the accent. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    In Viet Nam the G.I.s mispronounced "beau coup" as "boo coo" and the Viet Namese followed suit. "Lieu" would be "loo", as in loo-tenent. That means you would pronounce it "boo-loo."

    In Viet Nam.

    Before 1975.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, but lieutenant is pronounced left-tenant here in England. Solve that! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    No? None of it makes much sense to me either.

    Arkansas (Arkinsaw)
    Leicester Square (Lester)
    Lieutenant (left-tenant)

    There are so many illogical pronunciations, that Beaulieu being b,you-lee is really not such a biggie.

    Lucas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •